Sunday, January 6, 2013

Bienvenidos!

For the first time in 10 years of traveling to Mexico, one of my suitcases did not make the trip. After waiting for 45 minutes, watching the carousel slowly empty and getting more anxious and sweaty, I made my way to the baggage claim area where they had me on the list, my suitcase would arrive the following day from Chicago. I was given 30 USD to spend on toiletries and i tried to finagle my way to the front of the customs line but it was a no go.

Aside from the suitcase situation, it was a really easy trip. Made it through immigration and got my visa stamped for a 6 month stay. Any longer and i have to go to the immigration office in town to ask for more time. Interesting thing when I was waiting in line for customs, Reggie Bush (NFL player, USC Heisman trophy winner, who relinquished his trophy because he's a cheater) was ahead of me in line with his very pregnant wife. He let her push the cart full of luggage while he ate Pringles. Who says chivalry is dead?!

It's a balmy 80 degrees here, I am always sweating. On Saturday we went to Walmart and bought a couple things for the house, something to store my bathroom stuff in, some groceries. I still need to find a dresser for my clothes and a bike. C is busy teaching me my way around, the street we live on, the neighborhood, trying to make it so I don't get lost.

And - big milestone today - I shut off my cell phone. It was a pretty liberating feeling. That being said, I have one of em's old flip phones that I'm going to get a card for, so I can use it here.

Ciao for now!

2 comments:

  1. Haha! Still laughing about the Reggie Bush comment. I suppose losing luggage was bound to happen sometime but glad it wasn't truly lost. Frustrating nonetheless. Did you get it already? Nice of them to give you money for toiletries. Sounds like you're having a blast already!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the words of Craig Gumz, "I’d push the luggage around for Reggie Bush any day of the week."

    ReplyDelete