Sunday, March 3, 2013

#1 reason I should have never started a blog . . .

Here we are, more than a month since my last post. I had a feeling this would happen. Okay, let me recap what I have been doing the last month. It really hasn't been that exciting. I remember when people asked me in the past how things were going and I'd be all snarky and say "oh you know, living the dream".  Well, I can say that now and truly mean it. It's been a fantastic couple of months. I found out that most of the "stuff" I had at home, material things, I don't need or miss.

My family - mom, dad, and grandpa, arrived in Playa on February 2nd, my sister on the 6th. Spent a lot of time with them, I introduced Em to scuba diving (she was a natural), we both got to try Fly boarding for the first time (check it out on Youtube, incredible) and she spent a couple of nights at our house, sleeping in the hammock.  Been working on my tan, reading lots of books, and trying to improve my Spanish. I do a great job at learning slang words, I'm sure that will be helpful when I get a job. Tomorrow I'm diving in Cozumel (my favorite) for the first time this year. And Wednesday is a big day, I have a job interview!!

I'm interviewing at the Royal Resorts for a concierge position. I'd work with about 15-20 families a week, helping them make reservations, plan day trips, etc. Basically, planning their vacation for them. I truly enjoy planning and organizing so I think I would love the job. In the winter the majority of the guests are American/Canadian so my lack of Spanish won't be a huge issue, until the summer time when the majority of the guests are Mexican tourists. But I have time to learn. The application process for obtaining a work visa recently changed so I have to return to the states to interview at a Mexican consulate in my home country. If they like me, I get a work visa and can make some money and stay here for a year or more. My plan is to fly back to Minneapolis at the end of this month and go to the consulate in St. Paul, since we don't have one in DSM.

Aside from the job interview and my family being here, I haven't really been up to much. Getting used to life in a different country. Here are some pictures, courtesy of my sister, the family photographer.

La Cueva del Chango para desayuno




La hamaca!


Fly boarding!



Mi familia

Pelusa, mi gato!




4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update!! Can't wait to hear about diving in Cozumel! And keep me updated on how the interview/job hunt goes. They'd be lucky to have you. Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and be sure to keep me updated on when you're coming back to the states for your visa. Maybe we could meet up in MN! Hugs to the family & the Dive Balam crew!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering what you've been up to.
    I'm sort of glad to hear you are possibly staying longer. Gives me more time to get a passport and plan a trip down to see you. :)
    So happy for you friend. xo

    ReplyDelete